POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : DOS MegaPov 0.4 bugs fixed : Re: DOS MegaPov 0.4 bugs fixed Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DOS MegaPov 0.4 bugs fixed
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 4 Feb 2000 16:35:30
Message: <389b4622@news.povray.org>
Nieminen Juha <war### [at] punarastascstutfi> wrote...
>   I think he said: "This is an inelegant way to go about it, but arf".
>
>   Shouldn't the povray code be elegant, well made, high-quality,
> easy-to-understand, portable, modular and in any sense almost perfect?
> Is it good to content to solutions that are more a 'hack' than a real
> fix?

Yes, but for a temporary fix so that things work at least closer to the way
they should, it is OK.  Neither MegaPov nor the official version will use
this hack, but if DOS people want to use it for now, they can.

Be aware that an elegant solution does exist, though:  just open the file
for binary read mode instead of text read mode.  This fixes basically all
CRLF problems.

-Nathan